Spread your wings ... and your paints!
Current Workshop - Workshop almost full...act fast if you do not like to be disappointed!
Bulgaria June 6 - 17, 2019
Bulgaria, a country little known by Americans, will surprise and delight you. This is Old Europe, with twisty cobblestone streets and tile-roofed houses; a Roman amphitheater here, a Crusader’s bastion there. Bulgaria offers an incredible variety of scenes to inspire painters, photographers or any artist, including majestic mountains, lush valleys, acres of poppies and roses, sleepy villages and bustling cities, sparkling clean rivers and the golden-sand beaches of the Black Sea.
One of the most colorful countries you will ever visit, Bulgaria is a feast for the eyes. All of your senses will be stimulated as you indulge in the sights, sounds, and tastes of Bulgaria, for the Bulgarians have been creating literature, art, and music for thousands of years. These open-minded people are vivacious, fun-loving and friendly. From the 7000-year-old capital Sofia, to the beautiful Black Sea, Bulgaria will enchant you. The stunning natural landscapes and enchanting vistas will inspire you. Free time will allow you to relax and discover charming cafes, museums, and delightful shopping; our guides know the best places to find Bulgarian arts and crafts. Throughout our tour, we will savor the delicious, piquant Bulgarian cuisine, accompanied by the country’s famous, delicate wines.
Your instructor will be Stella Canfield. This workshop will focus on “on-location” painting skills, but also is tailored to help you develop your own personal expression. You can either simply paint in your style and medium enjoying the camaraderie of other like-minded participants, or seek instruction on how to capture the abundant local subjects and express it with style.
Stella will be available throughout the day on location for personal instruction. The best part of the day is the late afternoon critique, accompanied by wine and appetizers when we share our successes and adventures. This daily dialogue with each other is the real heart of the experience. Please bring your watercolor supplies. Here is Stella’s materials list but please do not take it too seriously and bring your favorite materials.
EXTRA NIGHTS IN BULGARIA
We can help you to find a hotel if you would like to arrive in Sofia or Varna a day or two earlier than June 18 or stay afterward.
Please let us know ASAP if you need extra room nights.
All breakfasts, lunches, and dinners are included in the cost of this trip. Breakfasts will be served in our hotel. Our noon meals will either be boxed lunches, provided each morning before you set out or brought to us on location, or group lunches when we are traveling. Plan on enjoying traditional Bulgarian offerings: delicious soups, meat, fish, poultry, vegetables, salads, and desserts. Of course, famous Bulgarian rakija will be on the menu, as well as wine.
We require a copy of your travel itinerary at the time you book your flights.
Please note, most of the streets in Bulgaria are cobblestones so be prepared for walking and bring comfortable walking shoes.
Day by Day Itinerary
- Day 1, June 6 – Pick up from the airport (or hotel if you decided to arrive earlier and spend couple of days in Varna)
- Day 2, June 7 – Relaxing day of introductory, sketching and painting if you desire.
- Day 3, June 8 - Painting in the village of Barzitsa.
- Day 4, June 9 - Traveling to and painting in Veliko Turnovo a UNESCO World Heritage Site, three hours way from Barzitsa. You will be amazed at the beauty of this city and location of our very charming Gurko Hotel. The hotel boasts balconies and carts loaded with geraniums and hand knit wool blankets on the beds. You only have to walk out the front door to find painting inspiration. Veliko Turnovo is the medieval capitol of the 2nd Bulgarian kingdom. It is built on several hills on the steep banks of the Yantra River. Our car will wind through the city’s narrow streets to give us an over-view of the sites. The Trapezitsa Hill foster the foundations of 17 medieval churches were discovered at the turn of the last century. Veliko Turnovo is a great shopping place as well!
- Day 5, June 10 – Experience a day in Veliko Turnovo. You are free to paint and explore as you choose. Returning to Barzitsa.
- Day 6, June 11 – Painting in Barzitsa.
- Day 7, June 12 – Painting in Provadia. Provadia (Bulgarian: Провадия) is a town in northeastern Bulgaria, part of Varna Province, located in a deep karst gorge (Provadia syncline) along the Provadia River not far from the Bulgarian Black Sea Coast. It served as a customs point since ancient times. It is well known for salty mineral waters, its mild climate and a total of 70 km of caves in the surrounding mountain walls. Provadia is the site of Solnitsata, Europe's oldest prehistoric town. Excavations on city walls that started in 2005 reveal a town that dates back to between 4,700 BC and 4,200 BC. It is believed to have been the site of salt trading.
- Day 8, June25 - Nesebar. We will make a day trip to Nesebar, entering the peninsula over a causeway. There is much evidence of the remains of Greek and Roman fortress walls here. The cobblestone streets were not designed for cars so it’s easy to walk throughout the town. Nesebar dates back to the 2nd millennium BC. It survived the Thracians, Greeks, Romans, Byzantines, and Turks. You will find art galleries in historic churches, and remains of ancient buildings are easily accessible. A plethora of vendors along the streets add “color and interest.”
- Day 9, June 13 –Traveling home. Preparing for our show in Varna.
- Day 10, June 14 –Varna, painting and shopping.
- Day 11, June 16 – Painting in Barzitsa, Art Show/Paparazzi Night! :-)
- Day 12, June 17 - After breakfast we will say our final good-byes before heading to the airport (or hotel if you decided to arrive earlier and spend couple of days in Varna).
This itinerary is subject to change if necessary.
“This is a unique painting sightseeing trip. Relaxed! Flexible! Fun! I felt like part of an extended Bulgarian family, not a tourist.” Carolyn Mueller, CA, USA